Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Baked Zucchini Sticks

I love french fries. I was really skeptical that these could ever replace them, but I was surprised that I really liked them! I had a bit of trouble breading them the way the recipe tells you to. The bread crumbs were getting all wet and clumpy and not sticking so I just ended up putting the bread crumbs on a paper plate and rolling the egg coated zucchini around. Seemed to fix the problem for me. I also used used more breads crumbs then the recipe called for. This made a full cookie sheets worth of sticks.

This recipe came from http://www.skinnytaste.com/ If you're on weight watchers this is a great website to get recipes from.

Servings: 3
Points Plus: 3

3 medium zucchini sliced into 3" x 1/2" sticks
1 large egg white
1/3 cup seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
2 tbsp grated pecorino romano cheese
cooking spray
1/4 tsp garlic powder
salt
fresh pepper

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees

2. In a small bowl, beat egg whites and season with salt and pepper. In a ziplock bag, place breadcrumbs, garlic powder, and cheese and shake well. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray and set aside.

3. Dip zucchini sticks into eggs and then into bread crumbs and cheese mixture, a few at a time and shake to coat. Place the breaded zucchini in a single layer and spray more cooking spray on top. Bake at 425 for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.

This recipe calls for a homemade marinara to dip the sticks in but I was short on time so I just used a jarred marinara.

No comments:

Post a Comment